Tuesday 19 February 2019

Forcing The Rhubarb


Full moon and frost last night. Truth be told, the full moon is at 4pm today, but it looked full last night, measuring 99.3% just after midnight, clearly visible in a cloudless sky. That's why the frost arrived.
Just as well, therefore, that I put in extra protection for the rhubarb plants. I had been digging a few days ago and I needed to remove the plant mulch and horse numna. While I was doing this I realised that an upturned terracotta pot (or two) would be good insulation. The height will be good too, as rhubarb forced in this way will grow to about 20-30cm before long.
Unfortunately, forcing rhubarb robs the plant of valuable energy, and later summer growth may be compromised. It is recommended to do this only every second year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.