Wednesday 30 January 2019

Flurry of Snow

Hard frost. Light flurry of snow lodged overnight. Thawing rapidly at midday. The seeds inside are cozy.
This is my favourite from about twenty taken this morning. A light overnight fall of snow turned to ice before dawn. Here, a Skimmia leaf holds on to its icy load, but it is about to slip.
Last year, I lost a few plants during the snow of March. The Beast from the East dumped about a foot of snow and some plants died. Plants do not manage well when the weight of snow is too much. A bit like you or I trying to put up with cold weather while having a double-decker bus on our head.
I spent a short while this morning removing the compacted ice from the Skimmia. It's also important to remove snow from the glasshouse roof. In my case, the smooth back of the rake is ideal for the job. Later the rising temperatures brought things back to normal.
Snow, sleet and a heavy frost is forecast again tonight, and some vigilance will be needed. I'm off inside now to light the stove and warm my tootsies.
What's it like where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.