Tuesday 3 January 2017

January You Are Welcome

I missed out on my semi-regular "Cheering up My Monday" feature yesterday. I had a lot on, so the camera didn't appear until mid-morning today, and after a late-night session at my favourite Lady Belle in Dungarvan, there was a noticeable shake. I did succeed in getting some decent shots during my short walkabout. So, instead of Cheering up My Monday, here's my Throbbing Tuesday update.

Three things I noticed:
  • The ornamental butterfly seems to be flying on one wing. Perhaps she's had a rough time of it over Christmas. The front left spring has failed, and the suspension is askew. This little girl will require some TLC to bring her hack to some sort of equilibrium. A bit like myself today, really.

Droopy wing syndrome

  • My garden here in Dungarvan is directly beneath the main flight-path motorway connecting North America with London and other major Western Europe airports including Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt and Knock. Today, as a result of clear skies and cool temperatures, the contrails were all over the place. 

Noughts-and-crosses at 35,000 feet

  • We decorated the bare apple tree with Christmas baubles for the first time. They look great, and apart from a severe buffeting last week during Storm Barbara, they still retain their shine. I noticed when taking this shot, that the reflection of the photographer clad in lycra (me!), was faintly visible. (Perfect recipe for any viewers who are into men in lycra to zoom in for post-Christmas titillation!)


At A Plant Level

  • The sprouts were delicious. This year, as a first, we cooked them according to a very tasty recipe. 
  1. 2 rashers, diced
  2. 1 red onion
  3. lots of home-grown sprouts
Cook the sprouts in boiling water for six minutes. Meanwhile, fry the rashers and onion in oil. When sprouts are cooked, drain and then mix with rashers and onions on the pan for thirty seconds. 

This was delicious with lamb, potatoes and roast vegetables (sweet potato, carrots, peppers, baby tomatoes)

Brussels sprouts "Roodnerf"

  • I planted two pots of the lovely daffodil Ziva during the Autumn. One had been inside over Christmas, and the other outside. I will swap them today, as the indoor heat means that this lovely flower struggles. Regular swapping every five days is the answer.

Narcissus Ziva


Callicarpa Beauty Berry

Made Me Smile


It's always good to have a bit of a laugh, and this got me going today. Thanks to unknown welly expert for perceptiveness.




That's it for today.  I hope you all have a really good year ahead.

Happy gardening,
Paraig

Twitter & Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.