Tuesday 10 January 2017

Cheering Up My Monday #4

Already there has been a short stretch in the length of the day. It may not be noticeable yet, but I've tracked it. Usually, it's about the third week of January that we hear people saying: "Isn't there a great stretch in the evening?" In fact, there's a short stretch in the morning too!

Sunrise and sunset times

So, during my five-minute ramble down the garden today, I noticed several interesting things. Well, interesting to me anyhow. Here are three:

A rainwater-butt is something worth having, yet during winter when it's full I rarely need water! Yet in late spring and summer, when I'll need it, there's likely to be less water there. I will not worry too much about this. It's just the way things are!

Rain, rain, come again!

There is a tiny vent under each of the windows of our "Seomra", the self-contained room that serves so many purposes. Within one of the vents there lives a rather large spider. She was not to be seen today, yet I know she's there.

Home to one spider

During winter, when many plants are cut back and only visible by looking closely, I sometimes come across a plant label which is normally not visible during the summer. I usually leave some labels in place for a few years, particularly if the plant is not easily identifiable to me. I might know the plant name, but not the variety, so this is very helpful. Well, it is to me anyway! In this case it's geranium Rosanne, otherwise known as cranesbill (an RHS Award of Merit winner).

Geranium rozanne

Naturally, my five-minute ramble also brings to my attention some small or large tasks needing completion. Today was just one of those lovely days where I noticed winter perfection, so the task list, building up gradually from time to time, did not get any bigger. Now, there's another thing to be thankful for!

Until the next time, enjoy your gardening,

Páraig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.